Hello Guest

Author Topic: Overwatch  (Read 1134 times)

Omegapug

• RSG Member
  • Silent but violent
Overwatch
« on: September 02, 2016, 05:21:21 pm »
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-09-02-overwatch-will-be-free-to-play-next-weekend-on-console

If you're looking for a fun to play multiplayer game this might be your jam. It's been virtually lag free for me. I can usually get in a match in under 15 seconds, and if someone quits they're usually replaced in a few seconds. The game is beautiful, with great sound and voice acting. There's no single player, so the whole focus is on making a fun and balanced online game. Blizzard has the resources and the skill to react quickly to make changes and they are very communicative about balance and any changes coming. The heroes are each unique and fun to play. Some are easy to learn and hard to master, but each plays a part. You can switch characters mid game to change tactics on the fly. The game rewards team play and downplays simple k/d ratios as the only measure of success. At the end of a match the game shows a play of the game which is fun if not always accurate. :)  Then it shows 3-4 cards depicting great performances by players on both teams and you can vote on your favorite. Leveling up brings you only cosmetic rewards like skins and voice lines: all heroes come with standard weapons and abilities. No perks or upgrades, it's always fair.

Well I've blathered enough to show that I love this game and hope you try it while it's free!

Omegapug

• RSG Member
  • Silent but violent
Re: Overwatch
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 05:23:04 pm »
Here's me as asthmatic kiwi Roadhog hooking some fools.

<iframe frameborder=0 webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen scale="tofit" width="1200" height="680" style="max-width:100%" src="http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Alphapug/video/21171062/embed"></iframe>

justwarmingup

• Overlord
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 11:52:58 am »
Quote from: Omegapug
 Leveling up brings you only cosmetic rewards like skins and voice lines: all heroes come with standard weapons and abilities. No perks or upgrades, it's always fair.
Like the sound of that! Will be giving it a try next weekend 8)

Kazzy

• RSG Leader
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 01:40:02 pm »
Looks and sounds good, will have to check it out!

Omegapug

• RSG Member
  • Silent but violent
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 06:02:41 pm »
Hope you do! It starts with a short tutorial letting you try the most familiar style character:Soldier 76. He's basically call of duty man. Rifle, rockets, he can sprint, has a healing device and his ultimate ability is an auto aim visor; just hold down the trigger. Still a good pick in any match too.

Omegapug

• RSG Member
  • Silent but violent
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 03:13:55 pm »
A bit of advice if you play this weekend incoming. There are counters to each hero! When you start out it seems like Bastion in turret mode just shreds everyone. Junkrat the typical Australian can lob grenade which take him out quickly or Pharah can fly up and rocket him when he's not looking. Genji is a favorite because he's a cool cyborg ninja and can deflect your shots back at you. He seems unbeatable, but gorilla Winston can leap on him and then just chase him holding right trigger. His gun locks on and melts Genji easily. Another pest is bubbly Brit tracer. She blinks around blasting at you from all angles and when you damage her she rewinds time and is where she was 3 seconds ago, full health. But McCree, who may as well be called Marston, can hit her with a flash bang and then fan the hammer and she's history. Torbjorn builds turrets that auto aim and can shred weak heroes, but Zarya and DVa eat them for lunch. You can always swap heroes if things aren't working out!

Kazzy

• RSG Leader
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 09:55:51 am »
So it took me all night to update my Xbox one last night, tonight I'm attempting to download/install Overwatch...wish me luck!! ;D

Omegapug

• RSG Member
  • Silent but violent
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 09:54:25 pm »
Hope it worked. Make sure you try out your national hero, Junkrat. And McCree: combat roll, six shooter, dead eye. Not sure where they came up with all that.  (whistle) But when you here his call out from an enemy McCree, run away, you're dead in one shot. "It's hiiiigh noon."

justwarmingup

• Overlord
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 11:52:11 am »
I played a couple of hours last night :)

There were a few issues getting games, presumably to the influx of people playing the free weekend but the games I played were fun.  I struggled with the controls to start - I'm used to using LT to aim down sights and my muscle memory wasn't helping matters but I stuck with McCree for the most part, to get the hang of his loadout.

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would - I'm not a fan of Halo and thought that Overwatch was another space shooter like it but with a little time to get used to the game I think I could get into it  :)

Omegapug

• RSG Member
  • Silent but violent
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 03:44:44 pm »
Yeah, the fact that each person has different aiming and controls make things challenging. Like widowmaker does use the left trigger to go into scope/sniper mode, but Mercy use LT to glide. I tried to stick to 3-4 for a while to get used to the controls.

Omegapug

• RSG Member
  • Silent but violent
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2016, 04:12:54 pm »
Here's my bit of advice for McCree. You're best when you're at mid range, preferably behind a tank so you're not the focus of enemies. Popping off RT you can do a ton of damage, especially with head shots. But you're also there to take out the enemy Tracers and Soldiers, etc... Tracer is super hard for some heroes to counter. You can drop a flash bang and stun her, then LT to fan the hammer on her. Your healers will thank you because she's a menace. When it comes to your dead eye ultimate, try to find a high vantage point where you're not noticed. Then hit Y and slowly move out to see as many enemies as possible before it triggers. I've seen McCrees wipe a whole team like that. When you just use it in a battle, most people scatter or throw up defenses and you're lucky to get one kill. Or you get killed before it fires. Best to be sneaky!

justwarmingup

• Overlord
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2016, 05:13:01 pm »
Quote from: Omegapug
Best to be sneaky!
Sneaky works for me :D

Omegapug

• RSG Member
  • Silent but violent
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 07:10:55 pm »
Periodic reminder: Overwatch is awesome and you should buy it and play it.