Hello Guest

Author Topic: Red Dead Redemption 2 Chat  (Read 384 times)

Kazzy

• RSG Leader
Red Dead Redemption 2 Chat
« on: October 01, 2017, 10:43:55 am »
This is interesting, wonder if any of it will be accurate?!!

justwarmingup

• Overlord
  • Administrator
Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Chat
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 11:19:02 am »
I remember reading that leak on Reddit a while ago and it seems to have some ring of truth to it now :)

Kazzy

• RSG Leader
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 07:27:33 am »
It really does seem to have a few matching details!

I really hope it's not too much like GTAV, not sure I like the idea of switching between 3 characters again. Definitely hope gang matches are nothing like the crappy GTA matches  :-\

justwarmingup

• Overlord
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 10:09:07 am »
Quote from: Kazzy
Definitely hope gang matches are nothing like the crappy GTA matches 
Know exactly what you mean!

GTA was technically amazing but the gameplay felt sterile,. RDR was grittier, the guns felt like they had weight to them etc.
I'm genuinely concerned that Rockstar are going to mess it up by trying to emulate the (financial) success of GTA Online
:-X

Kazzy

• RSG Leader
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 11:33:34 am »
Apparently they’ve gone through so many staff working on the new game. That doesn’t sound good, too many different people will have different ideas on how to do things. All of us Red Dead fans just want more of the same, hope they’ve listened to the fans of RDR and not GTA  :-\

justwarmingup

• Overlord
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 05:41:51 pm »
Quote from: Kazzy
Apparently they’ve gone through so many staff working on the new game. That doesn’t sound good, too many different people will have different ideas on how to do things. All of us Red Dead fans just want more of the same, hope they’ve listened to the fans of RDR and not GTA 

Working in the AAA gaming industry is notoriously brutal for what's known as "Crunch Time". As a project nears completion and it's deadline, there's a load of things to polish, bugs to fix etc - and it's pretty much the norm that developers will end up working 80+ hour weeks to get everything finished in time.

Rockstar in particular though,  are known for 'crunch time all the time' and coupled with poor, inefficient management & their insane/paranoid levels of security (CCTV monitoring the employees, no mobiles allowed in the office etc etc) it's no surprise that staff burn out through stress and ill health :( I have massive respect for game developers and their skills but the industry is so competitive, people will put up with these conditions - especially to be able to have 'worked at R*' on your CV.

Kazzy

• RSG Leader
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 08:45:34 am »
That does sound incredibly stressful no wonder there is such a huge staff turnover :O

Duck

• General Member
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 06:54:45 pm »
Have been trying to get in touch with you guys. Will try to keep checking back but have given you my email in the red dead net forum personal messages.

Went through 100'some of messages to find this link

Anyway, hit me back

Duck

Kazzy

• RSG Leader
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 12:28:34 pm »
Man I haven’t been able to log in here for ages, realised just now I was using the wrong link  :-[

Duck and I have been catching up through email :D

TheSwede

• RSG Member
  • They call me the swede...... I'm norwegian.
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 04:15:23 pm »

Looks like we gonna meet John Marston again.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 04:20:20 pm by TheSwede »

Kazzy

• RSG Leader
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 10:33:18 pm »
Yes! Looks so good. Bring on October :D

justwarmingup

• Overlord
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2018, 11:35:43 am »
Looks like we gonna meet John Marston again.

Along with Uncle too :D

TheSwede

• RSG Member
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2018, 03:52:01 pm »

justwarmingup

• Overlord
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2018, 04:57:11 pm »

Interesting

Shamelessly borrowed from gtaforums:

Arthur is the gang's "chief enforcer" and Dutch's right hand man

This is "Arthur's story" - single protagonist confirmed?

Arthur is made of muscle and provides the camp with food and supplies - he can "pick up a 5 point buck"

Arthur can act as a mediator between brawling gang members

Bill Williamson is whiny and wants to prove himself

Arthur puts the gang first - they're family and the closest to family he's ever known

Arthur was brought under Dutch's wing from a "young age" - age and circumstances not known - making him one of the few Dutch trusts

RDR2 chronicles the "fall and fracture" of the gang

Arthur is having an existential crisis

RDR2 focuses heavily on player choice for the story and missions - " “We try to give you options within a lot of these missions to choose how you approach it, whether you'll send your buddies in first or whether you'll go in first,” says Rob Nelson, Co-Studio Head at Rockstar North, speaking to how players choices can affect interactions and missions."

It is player choice how Arthur interacts with the gang - he can hunt and explore alone, or he can keep the camp fed and supplied

Interacting with the gang can earn job and mission invites

Unknown yet if these choices affect narrative, but they will affect gameplay, but cutscenes can change depending how much Arthur helps the gang

Between Redemption and Redemption II: “It’s a companion piece,” Rob Nelson, co-studio head of Rockstar North, tells me. “They exist together. They’re connected. There’s a lot of connective tissue between the two stories and lots of characters that you’ve seen before that you’ll see again.”

IGN saw a 45 minute demo - Bill needs Arthur's help on a small bank job in the town of Valentine

RDR2 is technically a standalone and you don't need to have played Redemption to get the story

Every NPC has a purpose in the world with work schedules

Arthur's actions are connected to the world as Rockstar want players to live as him, not just play as him

Home is the gang's camp, a living breathing community

New gang members seen in the demo - Sean McGuire, Pearson (camp cook), Lenny, Karen

Every gang member has a job within the community, such as cleaning clothes, collecting wood, which players will see happen naturally

Gang spirits are higher if Arthur keeps the community well-fed through hunting or buying supplies

If gang food is low, members get angry and start muttering about Arthur

Camera doesn't cut away during interactions

Rockstar is "blurring the lines" between main missions and side quests

Missions and side questions are contextual i.e. depend on time of day and who you are with

How NPCs react to Arthur depends on his choices in the world - each interaction offers a choice

An example of choice seen when meeting an NPC was "Greet" or "Antagonise" and these dynamically change

HUD was mostly switched off for the demo

NPCs also react to how Arthur conducts himself within the world i.e. travelling with gun drawn or holstered makes a difference

Farmers won't like Arthur travelling too close to their lands

IGN witnessed Arthur looting from a nearby fisherman - fisherman's dog raised warning

Arthur can choose how to deal with situations if caught stealing or commiting a crime - peacefully or forcefully

Bounty for murder is higher than robbery

Demo was set in an area called New Hanover

Wildlife is rich - birds, deer, fireflies, bears, rabbits seen in the demo

Horses are vastly improved - your horse is your companion rather than transport

Arthur can bond with his mount - calming it when agitated, feeding it, grooming it

Strong bonds with your horse can result in calmer personality

Untrained horses are unpredictable

Horses stay put when dismounting

You can whistle for horse but only if you're nearby

Horses carry supplies and larger weapons

Different horse breeds have different personalities reacting to the environment and situations

When hunting, Arthur can tie trophies to his horse or skin them first

Skinning animations and sounds return

Weapon seen in demo - bow and arrow for hunting

Arthur can crouch when hunting

Animal distress sounds are "brutal, bloody and exceptionally unpleasant" when hunting

Dead animals left on the ground from the hunt decay over time so should be returned to camp

When selling meat to butchers, you'll get more money for better quality i.e. less decay or less gun shot debris

Other characters can ask Arthur what direction to complete the mission in

Dead Eye returns and is mostly similar to Redemption in the demo

The map is a large world sprawling from snowy wastelands in the north to swamps in the south with a city in-between

No details of multiplayer were shared

Arthur drops to his haunches to contemplate during player inactivity

During the demo heist, Karen asks Arthur how to "behave" as a distraction

A glimpse into Rockstar's perfection "“But the fact is, we don’t want to be better than anyone else. We want to be better than ourselves.”"

Arthur can interact with every character he comes across

There is no break between story and gameplay so players feel they are living as Arthur

Players might find Arthur disagreeable at first but will get to understand him and his motives

Arthur is a rough man but his actions speak louder and he has a moral "code" - suffering is unncessary if it can be avoided

RDR2 has the honour system and affects the environment as before

The world can be as hostile or as friendly as the player choses to play

Every area of the map has a unique identity and seamlessly blends into one another

Foliage has been hand-crafted and hand-placed

Horses kick up dust, snow and mud depending on terrain

Environmental sounds are vastly improved

Flies can be heard buzzing around

Arthur can find travellers on the road - lawmen, rival gangs, compatriots

Some parts of the HUD were seen and it is completely customisable - all details can be removed

Circular HUD map returns

TheSwede

• RSG Member
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2018, 08:31:35 am »